What is an
Absorbed Glass Mat Battery?
AGM is an abbreviation for absorbed glass mat battery. In this battery design, the acid is completely absorbed into glass mat separators which are sandwiched between the lead plates. It’s a totally sealed and maintenance free design. There are no discharge tubes or fillers caps, which eliminates the need to maintain water levels and offers no concern about acid leaks on valuable parts and accessories.
AGM batteries offers several advantages over conventional “wet” batteries:
– Sealed maintenance free battery design means you never have to worry about checking water levels.
– AGM battery technology will not leak or corrode on paint and chrome.
– They have less internal resistance which offers more CCA amperage than wet batteries.
– By nature AGM batteries are more heat and vibration resistant than conventional batteries, both which contribute to the large majority of failures in motorcycle applications.
– Slower self discharge rate (longer shelf life) means battery can sit for extended periods of time without constant monitoring. A wet battery discharges 15% a month, where our AGM batteries discharge only 2-3% a month.
– Longer service life. The main reason wet batteries fail is due to the fact that water levels are not properly monitored coupled with the fact that they are not very vibration resistant. AGM batteries do not have to be constantly maintained and are much more resistant to both heat and vibration, which is why they offer longer service life.